Almonds and oranges are abundant in Andalucia, we are often given a bag full of oranges by neighbours and we have to be fruitful in our recipes to make the most of the glut. Orange curd, orange marmalade, orange juice,to name a few. The orange is this recipe gives this torte style cake a rich moistness.
1 large orange
3 medium eggs
250g ground almonds
½ tsp baking powder
Icing Sugar to decorate
• Put the orange in a small pan, cover with water and bring ot the boil, simmer for at least an hour.
• Remove from heat, and leave to cool in water overnight.
• Line a spring from cake tin.
• Halve the orange, remove pips, and whizz to smooth paste including skin.
• Whisk together eggs and sugar until pale, fold in almonds and orange puree & baking powder.
• Pour into tin and bake for 40-50 mins at 170 c until skewer comes out clean.
• Let cool.
Serve with crème fraiche or natural greek yoghurt.